Tal Kor

Still here.

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-20 10:40 PM

Raacorm

Firefly/Serenity

Wanted to post this here because, don't know if any of you will recall, but long ago on the old TK forums I remember getting into a discussion with some of you (namely Syrel, Cariel, Thaeral that I can recall) about Firefly. I said I had no interest in watching it b/c from the little I knew of it, it was just a Cowboy Bebop knock off.

Well recently I decided "What the heck" and I watched the series to see what all the internet fuss was about. I have to say the show is pretty damn great :). While I still believe it holds some inspiration from Cowboy Bebop, it was largely original and just great to watch. It really is too bad it was discontinued.

I also watched Serenity and thought that was even better. I am guessing the movie's plot is a condensed version of where Wedon would have wanted to take the series eventually? My only question is... was the alliance after River b/c she knew the secret about the Reavers, or because she could kick some serious butt? I just don't get why they kidnapped her and experimented on her and stuff, which is the only disconnect b/w the movie and the series that I could see.

But yea, in any case, great show, I wish somehow it could e brought back, or at least a movie sequel or something.

#2 2008-04-21 4:30 PM

Syrel

Re: Firefly/Serenity

River -

She was a prodigy.  That's why she was in the program, because they believed they could make an almost supernatural assassin to do their bidding.

The reason they were trying to capture/kill her after the escape is because of her being in a room with the council when the scientist was showing off his project.  As a telepath she was able to pick up on the secrets of the Empire.  One of those secrets being the Reavers and the Pax virus.  They knew if that got out the whole rebellion would spring again and this time it wouldn't be held to just the border worlds.

So they had to silence her or bring her back.  Whichever.

#3 2008-04-23 1:10 AM

Rillen

I too finally got around to watching Firefly. Not that I ever thought it was going to be a bad series or anything but it was really a combination of lack of time/motivation and my general dislike of westerns. Of course all the fanboyism on Digg contributed to motivating me to watch it as well. I started off on Serenity and it just made me more interested in the series. Knowing how the series "ended" was a bit of a disappointment but at least it piqued my curiosity.

I think what I love the most about the series is the dry yet subtle humor throughout. I think it's really the way it is written that I love the most. It's a level of humor that is only matched by the writers of Futurama (yet another series canceled prematurely by Fox).

Does anyone know if there are plans to make any further sequels? I think I read somewhere that Alan Turick (however you spell Wash's actor's name) said something about more episodes in the works but I never heard anything further. Here's to hoping that it's more than just a rumor!

#4 2008-04-24 11:27 PM

Cariel

I don't think it's going to happen.  I've read a couple of the actors blogs on myspace (yes, I'm that much of a geek) and they're busy.  "River" is the new "Terminator" and "Kalie" is on another series as well on SciFi.  One of the Stargate ones maybe?  "Mal" last I heard is on.... "Desperate Housewives" but I don't watch it so I don't know if that was long term or temporary.

If you like Alan Tudyk - rent "Death at a Funeral."

Board footer